Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Rough Draft



Draft 

The sound of a bell ringing, voices clamoring out while footsteps rumble through the hallways; The events that transpire during this time are accurately depicted as what happens when the first class of the day gets out, and one is forced to circumvent the halls to get to the right classroom or get to the study hall. Thankfully, I had only one class that year and it was a rather peculiar class. It was an English class; Very basic, but also very problematic in that I’d never taken a public class like it in my life. The teacher was nice though, and I couldn’t complain. The room was very compact, with white and green walls scattered about unevenly. The room, you could say, might’ve even been some 3rd grader’s art project, with different minute details and various pictures drawn into the wall in low points. Thankfully, the pictures weren’t very distracting due to the class’ own intensity, from the people around me just making idle chat while we had to do work, all the way down to the teacher singling out certain students at random points in time. 
This was just the first day, with quite a bit more to come as the year went on. My first essay, luckily, was a narrative essay on whatever story or perspective I so desired. I was ecstatic with the prospect of finally being able to write anything and everything onto the page for someone else to see and enjoy. My dreams were cut short when the teacher revealed the rules surrounding formal essay writing. I could feel the bitter taste in my mouth surrounding my now constricted freedoms, but I understood and followed through. I enjoyed writing, and the rules for it only made writing more fun as I discovered many new things alongside my new friends. Twelve kids, aged fourteen to sixteen all just collaborating ideas, talking during empty portions of the class, and just over-all enjoying writing. Granted, not every one of us enjoyed the same aspects of writing, but it was expected of us not to be the same. 
The kids around me were a cheerful bunch save for a select few. There was one peculiar friend that always smelled like a rotten egg soaked in a vat of oil when he came to class despite his sibling in the class insisting that he showered twice a day and even more on his active weekends. His sibling was a girl, sixteen but still very energetic even for a young fourteen year old me. She cared deeply for anyone who was her friend and always tried to give advice where it was needed. Her voice was high with a smooth tone, but if one heard it there would be a distinct hint of gentleness or kindness about it. She could be considered an epitome of a helpful friend, but she had experienced her own innate change throughout the year from her cheerful self to more serious and focused. 
The last defined and true “Friend” I made in the class was a primary reason I stayed with the class as he became my best friend mid-way into the year. We had fights, much like friends might have, but we always worked through them and surged into a whole variety of new ways to develop ourselves as writers and as friends. To this day, I keep in contact with him and exchange writings and ideas for our stories as they are told and unfold. 
Certain homework assignments we received as a class during the beginning of the year were “Writing Review” as we were given quizzes to take home and do, respond to, and complete. For these quizzes, we were given a grade entirely on point values from zero to up to two hundred. Precise, yes, though very difficult to achieve for a young High School student. The initial few quizzes gave me quite a shock as I was barely making one hundred and fifty out of the possible two hundred. I sat in shock in my regular seat as I looked at the first grade; I was confident in all of my answers, I had the book and guide there with me to help check my answers, and yet I still made a below average and even mediocre grade on the assignment. The event would’ve crushed me, were it not for those around me who encouraged and supported me throughout the mind boggling ordeal. 
                Even then, my friends were experiencing their own struggles and hardships with the class, which only served to prove that there were others who would have trouble with the class. We were mostly freshmen; we had no real basis to go off of as most of us were homeschoolers just then transitioning into high school settings. The grades were more erratic than we could have hoped; the teacher understood during the first half of the year the need for this mid-way and relaxed more on the turn-in times. This would not be reciprocated in the following year, which relied heavily on essays weekly as well as literature journals for books we would be assigned to read. Nothing in the beginning of the year, however, really prepared us for the proverbial hell that we would be going through for the next couple of years.

                Moving on to the second half of the year’s assignments and what could only be described as the worst out of the year, my grade plummeted due to a lack of foresight and a good deal of paperwork not turned in. Had I thought ahead, or had the tools back then, I would have and probably still would be more prepared and confident in my ability to write. In present time, I have trouble finding the words to say or even how to place them. I passed with a fair grade, though I still don’t wish to admit what it was precisely. I know how to deal with deadlines, though the struggle continues and I so very wish that I could have received more time and more of a guide in my initial instructions in English.

                All in all, I couldn’t have asked for a more rigorous or even defined year to prepare me for the rest of life’s writings, from my in progress book to the current day to day writings of college, there just isn’t a place where writing has no necessity or desire to be. I find writing everywhere, and most individuals would feel the same if they had a slight hint of the desire to learn. Though, to be honest, there are points where I still feel that writing is stupid and completely unreliable.

No comments:

Post a Comment