Thursday, January 15, 2015

Rhetoric

How I define Rhetoric is the process of manipulation by words to sway one person over to your side via Empathy, versus the direct confrontation that is present in Persuasion.

Rhetoric in its purest form is to convince, and branches out into ways of thinking "How would I convince myself to think this way?" and then going about that method in a projecting manner. To speak in ways of Rhetoric are just to attach to the other person without offending their way of thinking. So in a way, it's a kind form of manipulation and persuasion through empathy.

Ethically, Rhetoric can be deadly to an unsupervised and unkind person. They could manipulate whole crowds of people into wrongdoings just by their words and own demeanor. In contrast, Rhetoric can be used to achieve wonderful things and unbelievably kind works in the world, therefore granting a large freedom in how it is used. To point it out literally, the use of Rhetoric is dangerous and requires a high regard for control and the feelings of others. Oddly enough, this makes thinking rhetorically necessary for the proper use of rhetoric.

3 comments:

  1. I like your definition, especially the emphasis on using it ethically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I wasn't really on board with the whole manipulation thing, but I wasn't looking at the same stance that you were. Then as I read on, I saw what you were talking about and how that is very true and it has happened several times in history. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't agree with the statement that Rhetoric ties in directly with persuasion and empathy, I think it is a way of displaying information, and it's all down to the end user to persuade the crowd. I can see what would lead you to think like that, but I think you are putting too much of the users intent into what it actually is.

    ReplyDelete